About the Canadian Independent Music Association
Through transparency, trust and integrity, CIMA will be an advocacy leader, representing the national interests of the Canadian owned independent music industry, while providing targeted services for the economic benefit of its membership.
CIMA is the not-for-profit national trade association representing the English-language, Canadian-owned sector of the music industry. CIMA’s membership consists of Canadian-owned companies and representatives of Canadian-owned companies involved in every aspect of the music, sound recording and music-related industries. They are exclusively small businesses which include: record producers, record labels, recording studios, managers, agents, licensors, music video producers and directors, creative content owners, artists and others professionally involved in the sound recording and music video industries.
CIMA’s mandate is to develop and advocate policies and services that serve to support a strong and economically stable Canadian independent music and sound recording industry, ensuring the long-term development of the sector and to raise the profile of Canadian independent music both in Canada and around the world.
CIMA continues to take a leadership role in improving the economic viability and well-being of the independent music and sound recording sector in important areas such as cultural industry policies and programs; intellectual property and copyright law; tax laws and tariffs; international export and trade development programs; and professional development.
- What they do and how they do it For the past forty years, CIMA has dedicated itself to strengthening the Canadian independent music industry.
- CIMA Leadership CIMA is lead by our President, Stuart Johnston, who works with a dynamic and active Board of Directors to ensure the long-term viability of the Canadian-owned independent music sector.
- CIMA Committees With leadership from the Board of Directors, CIMA’s standing committees ensure our members are directly involved in the management, activities and policies of the Canadian Independent Music Association.
- Canadian Blast Canadian Blast is the business development brand under which CIMA promotes Canadian independent music in the US, UK-Europe, South Asia and other emerging markets.
- MusicOntario MusicOntario was established in 2012, as a division of the Canadian Independent Music Association (CIMA), to be a hub for all participants in the Ontario music industry.
- Our Partners We would like to gratefully acknowledge and thank the public and private sector organizations that help us deliver outstanding opportunities for our members.
- Contact Them